Here is a recipe to get you thinking about the Nutrition Challenge starting on January 2, 2012. Please bare with me over the next few months as my kitchen is currently under a complete renovation. The end product will be worth the wait but it sure makes cooking hard! Here is a meal I have made a few times. It’s super easy to make, which is why I love this recipe. This meal is perfect for breakfast, lunch, or dinner…and leftovers for us lazy cooks!
Sausage and Vegetable Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
1 Delicata Squash, halved and seeded
1T. Coconut Oil
1/2tsp. Sea Salt
1tsp. Ground Cinnamon (optional)
1T. Coconut Oil
10-12oz of Ground Meat (I used a combination of pork sausage and buffalo)
1/2 Small Onion, chopped finely
1 Garlic Clove, minced
1 cup Finely Chopped Vegetables (I used a combination of zucchini and cauliflower, pulsed in my mini chopper)
1/4 cup Fresh Herbs (I used parsley and thyme), finely chopped, plus more for garnish
Sea Salt and Black Pepper, to taste
1 Egg, lightly beaten
4 Bacon Slices, sliced into 1/2″ pieces
Roasting the squash:
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Transfer squash to a baking sheet, coat with 1T. coconut oil, and season with cinnamon and salt.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes, until soft.
While squash is roasting, make stuffing:
- Heat a saute pan, over medium-high heat. Add coconut oil and meat. Cook meat until browned.
- Add onion, garlic, and vegetables and toss to coat. Cook until all vegetables are softened, about 5-7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add fresh herbs and stir to combine. Remove from heat and set mixture aside to cool slightly.
- Add egg and stir to combine.
- Fill squash halves with mixture, top with bacon slices, and return to 400F oven (I cooked the squash on a cake/cookie-drying rack, but this is not necessary). Bake for 40-45 minutes, until bacon is browned and mixture is cooked through.
- Garnish with fresh herbs and serve.
Recipe from http://jensgonepaleo.blogspot.com