Every summer our family makes a huge patch of pesto (I mean huge – like 10 cups worth!), however the common ingredient “parmesan” deems that whole freezer load unusable!… Fortunately I’ve come up with a suitable (and tasty) alternative – sans parmesan!
Pesto is one of the most versatile sauces for the home, as it can easily be used as a dip, spread, or sauce. Fresh pesto gives any dish a welcome boost of flavour!
- 1/2 cup Hazelnuts
- 2 cups Broccoli Florets
- 2 cups Parsley
- 1/4 cup Mint Leaves
- 1 tbsp (real) Lemon Zest
- 2-4 Cloves of Garlic
- 2 tbsp Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- Preheat the oven to 400-F
- Spread the hazelnuts in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Toast in oven until skins split and flesh turns golden brown. Approx 8-10 mins.
- Meanwhile, steam broccoli until just tender and bright green. Approx 6 mins.
- Add hazelnuts to food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped. Scrape down sides of processor and continue to add all remaining ingredients. Blend until smooth.
- Transfer to airtight container and store in refrigerator. Broccoli Pesto will keep 7-10 days.