Now for my first official blog entry! Jen and I made these on day 1 of the Whole30 challenge. We realized that after consuming 5 eggs(!) before lunch, we needed to make food in advance.
Here is a recipe you can rely on – It’s super easy to make, which is why I love this recipe. This meal is perfect for breakfast, lunch, or dinner… and leftovers for us lazy cooks! Welcome Aboard the “Squash Boat” – Packed with protein and vegetables to keep your taste buds satisfied all Fall long
- 1 Spaghetti Squash, halved and seeded
- 1T. Coconut Oil
- 1/2tsp. Sea Salt
- 1tsp. Ground Cinnamon (optional)
- 1T. Coconut Oil
- 10-12oz of Ground Meat (I used ground turkey)
- 1/2 Onion, chopped finely
- 1 tbsp Garlic, minced
- 1 cup Finely Chopped Vegetables (I used a combination of zucchini, and red reppers pulsed in my handy handy food processor)
- 1/4 cup Fresh Herbs (I used parsley and thyme), finely chopped, plus more for garnish
- Sea Salt and Black Pepper, to taste
- 1 Egg, lightly beaten
Roasting the squash method:
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Transfer squash to a baking sheet, coat with 1T. coconut oil, and season with cinnamon and salt.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes, until soft.
While squash is roasting, make stuffing:
- Heat a saute pan, over medium-high heat. Add coconut oil and meat. Cook meat until browned.
- Add onion, garlic, and vegetables and toss to coat. Cook until all vegetables are softened, about 5-7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add fresh herbs and stir to combine. Remove from heat and set mixture aside to cool slightly.
- Add egg and stir to combine.
- Fill squash halves with mixture, top with bacon slices, and return to 400F oven (I cooked the squash on a cake/cookie-drying rack, but this is not necessary). Bake for 40-45 minutes, mixture is cooked through.